- square away
- verbput (things or places) in order (Freq. 1)-
Tidy up your room!• Hypernyms: ↑order• Verb Frames:-
Somebody ——s something
* * *intransitive verb1. : to square the yards so as to sail before the wind2. : to put everything in order or in readiness : get ready
is squaring away to write the first words of the new chapter — Atlantic3. : to take up a fighting stance
a professional fighter he was being compelled to square away against — Hamilton Basso: to put in order or readiness : make ready
everything … is squared away, and satisfaction and contentment reign — W.W.Howells
helped him square away his field scarf and button his blouse — L.M.Uris
* * *square away1. To set (sails) at right angles to the keel (nautical)2. To make neat and tidy (N American)• • •Main Entry: ↑square
* * *ˌsquare a ˈway [transitive] [present tense I/you/we/they square away he/she/it squares away present participle squaring away past tense squared away past participle squared away] american phrasal verbto do the things necessary to complete something
The project should be squared away in the spring.Main entry: square
* * *square away [phrasal verb]square (something) away or square away (something) US : to put (something) in an organized and proper state or condition— often used as (be/get) squared away
I need to get my work squared away [=taken care of] before I leave for vacation.
I can finally relax since everything is squared away.• • •Main Entry: ↑square
Useful english dictionary. 2012.